THE UNDERGROUND TORPEDO BOAT IN PIAZZA SANT'ANTONIO
The PonteRosso canal was built in 1700 so that boats could easily reach the city centre to load and unload their cargo. Originally, the canal used to be longer, reaching the cobblestones in front of the Church of Sant'Antonio Taumaturgo. The first part of the canal has been buried in 1934 with the debris from the demolition of the old city, thus creating the present Piazza Sant'Antonio. Rumour has it that a small torpedo boat, abandoned after the war, has been buried with the canal and now lies under the square.